View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #107 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The "sustainable" zealots live in denial of the fact that nothing in this universe is sustainable. Entropy will have its fancy.
Eventually, sure, but you know something? I'm not all that worried about what's going to happen in a billion years or so :-)

Quote:
One idea I find interesting is that resisting change seems to be in human DNA...
Not at all true. What you call "resisting change" is really nothing more than people wanting to change things to better suit themselves, instead of you :-)

Quote:
Humans aren't content for Earth to be their only habitable place, and this news proves it.
Proves it how, exactly? Even the ability to travel to other planets (which Orion is far from demonstrating) would not make those planets habitable*. Only intensive terraforming projects, probably taking millenia, could do that.

Quote:
One thing is certain; life isn't getting off this planet with a human population of only 500 million.
Whyever not? Let me just point that the only human voyages beyond low Earth orbit were all done by the US, population (per 1970 census) 203,392,031.

*PS: To be clear, by habitable I mean capable of sustaining a human population indefinitely, without continuously supplying necessities from Earth. You could of course establish long-term bases, in the same way as we have Antarctic research stations, or crews working on ocean oil platforms.

Last edited by jamesqf; 12-11-2014 at 01:14 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
IamIan (12-11-2014), NeilBlanchard (12-11-2014)