View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #1431 (permalink)
P-hack
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
it is an igbt half bridge on the prius, but yah, pretty simple. For high power charging (to reduce charge times) you do need the pfc stage though (or if your battery voltage is too high relative to the wall).

I'm not worried about software errors, that is a testing issue. I posted a link to hobbits page where he gets into some control details a few posts back. Personally I think avoiding regen unless the brake pedal is touched is simplest algorithmically and has its benefits in driving efficiency (it glides by default, encouraging gliding behavior). the brake light narrows it down to the battery buck or battery boost quadrant, and could be controlled by slip alone probably (just turn the top switch on) for regen (but not AC power).

<50 is about $22 apiece, >10000 is about $6. Add your own wire.

Edit: only talking about induction motors here, I don't know much about PM/reluctance regen, other than it is gonna be putting out some volts weather you want it to or not in regen, so the top buck switch is probably needed there, but single variable slip seems easier to implement otherwise.

Last edited by P-hack; 12-12-2014 at 12:01 PM..