View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #317 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
- Centurion's Heart Surgery....
Disassembling the little pump is pretty easy but attention to detail is a must! Like the injectors, the pump assembly contains plenty of calibrated parts, so pay acute attention to everything if you plan on reassembling and reusing it.

A specific example that comes to mind are the fuel timing marks on the control rack.
(One for each pressure plunger / to each injector.)

If you don't get these right you may be in for a real treat!
The worst case scenario is a "runaway engine" whereby max fuel is being delivered and the governor is having little or likely no affect. Speaking from experience, few things in life give you quite the same adrenaline rush as a runaway diesel!!!
*TIP* Have a game plan to shut the engine down in the event of a run-a-way. On this little engine the intake is pretty easy to seal if the air filter is off and it'll shut-down pretty quickly. Also, the decompressor will work if nothing else is handy.
For whatever reason, some of the machined walls inside the pump appear to be deteriorating and a closer look in the area of the above photo reveals some of those thin metal shavings/flakes previously mentioned:

A thorough cleaning was executed and the pump returned to its rightful place. I suspect possible scoring in the #1 plunger as the vibration was still present. Cracking the line on that injector barely made a difference in rpm drop at idle. At half throttle or more it did seem to smooth out and run halfway decent. A couple of road tests later and no change - just some black smoke here and there.
Due to the internal pump deterioration and presence of rogue metal distributed within areas of the pump, it was time to see if a replacement unit was available...
All we should need are the factory numbers from that Diesel-Kiki tag to cross reference it to a new part number. Hopefully there's not a repeat of the injector fiasco or I'll end up with a "couple" of pumps before it's all said and done.
Hey! What's this already?????

Did I mention these are really, really, expensive?
I MEAN - HOLY CRAP!
Still, I'll gladly take this injector pump misfortune over the following:

WoW!! Did you see that?
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Typo
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (12-13-2014)