Thread: Valet parking?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Valet parking?

(Hope this doesn't qualifiy as, or degenerate into, politics. I intend it as general social commentary, and at least tangentially related to cars :-))

I expect most of you who follow at least general news headlines have seen today's remark from Pres. Obama about being mistaken for a parking attendant:
Quote:
There's no black male my age, who's a professional, who hasn't come out of a restaurant and is waiting for their car and somebody didn't hand them their car keys...
Now that really struck me as an example of reality disconnect, in several ways. First, I'm about his age, equally a professional, yet have never been to the sort of restaurant where valet parking* is provided. So what does that say about some people's rather blinkered social expectations?

Second, even though I've never been in a position where I could have been mistaken for a parking attendant, there've been a number of occasions where I've been taken for a similar sort of service person. Now even though a preference for an active outdoor life means I usually have a pretty good tan, I'd suspect my blond hair & green eyes would keep people from thinking I'm black, so I'd think that sort of mistake is hardly evidence of pervasive racism.

So I'm curious: how many of you sometimes get mistaken for service persons (not counting times when you actually were working as such, of course), and how do you react?

*And I certainly wouldn't trust my car to a random parking attendant. Would you? And do you ever go to places where such is expected?

Last edited by jamesqf; 12-17-2014 at 11:25 PM..