View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

I think you will be disappointed with driving the compressor with an electric motor, that is driven off the alternator. Reason? every time you convert one form of energy to another, you loose efficiency. I have wondered about efficiency ratings for compressors for years, but it seems to me that unless your car is an EV, the most direct drive approach will be the most efficient.

Running that a/c compressor and coupled electric motor off a bank of 'on board batteries' however, that you charge up from a solar photovoltaic system, might have running your car's a/c system for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
I had a standard system in my old nissan truck that was more efficient because it rewarded the judicious a/c user with intermittent cycling....
I owened couple of 'hardbody' Nissans in the 90's and really liked that a/c feature. I would turn off the a/c buttom while getting on a freeway or climbing a grade. Too bad the 2.4 liter wasn't a little more frugal with the fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
MY VDC doesn't cycle and never seems to change the amount of power necessary to provide the minimum amount of cooling.... The temp control on my car merely mixes hot(drawn from the heater coil) and cool air together causing increased loss of eff.
It just doesn't seem right, almost ridiculous, doesn't it? Yet most automobile a/c systems are set up that way.