View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tony Raine
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
Quote:
how can I improve acceleration without using 2GPH at 1365RPM when staring off at a dead stop without hitting the accelrator hard at all.
getting taller gears will make this worse. lower gears multiply torque (at a lower rpm) to make it easier to get moving.

Quote:
Would changing my Mustang's stock 3.27 rear gears to 2.73 increase my fuel economy and by how much possible?
i would count on about a grand+ to have someone swap the gears. (cost of gears, installation parts, oil, labor, speedometer correction, etc....). think you'll get enough out of this mod to pay for/profit from it? it will probably only drop your cruising rpm's by around 450. you can lower your rpm's a little by buying a little bigger tires for the rear once your stock ones wear out. (i got 2" bigger tires and dropped my cruising rpm by around 250.) but then you still have to correct the speedometer/odometer ( i just calculate after-the-fact).

lets say you get a 2mpg highway boost with the gear swap. assuming 15,000 (highway-only) miles a year and 3.90 for gas, you'll save $161 a year. so it will take around 7 years just to pay off the mod.

worth it? i'd say no. but thats just my opinion, which with $0.50 will buy a cold cup of coffee. if you still want to go through with it, you may be able to find an entire axle from another 'stang and swap it in. (unbolting an axle and bolting in another identical one is 1000X easier than attempting a gear swap youself). you may even find someone that will trade axle-for-axle because they want the lower gears.