View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I've had considerable experience driving a CVT, particularly Nissans versions. I like them but they do require adifferent technique. Accleration is a matter of picking the rev point and lettting the transmission do the work. Neutral coasting is a breeze at any legal speed.

In my 08 Altima coupe, the torque converter was more of a clutch, locking up at any speed over 12 MPH. The "belt" was a segmented steel design and it was a "push belt" configuration with the metal belt segments acting as "shoes" that gripped the driven cone using a special fluid. Nissan warranted the tranny for 10 years and 120k miles, and the transmissions were built by JATCO, a subsidiary of Nissan corp.

Been a Nissan fan ever since I saw the first 240Z in November 1969, but not so much a fan now as I was earlier. Seen a 83 diesel Maxima hit 864k miles on the original engine, before cranking compression was too low for it to start cold without boosting the battery. The owner was ranting at the service writer and got me involved, told him he was crazy to complain about that engine!

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
kc750 (03-21-2015)