View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #42 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_power View Post
...- an element ripped from 230V 1500W heater connected to my 180V battery pack can reach ~1000W and it's only at a given fan speed; I guess it's "trapped" somewhere in transition region of resistance coefficient - see graph - so I'm awaiting package from U.S. witch cheap 110V ceramic space heater; 1000W doesn't feel like enough even in my small cabin...
I would be very interested to hear how the 110V model compares. I had a quick look on eBay for the 110V heater elements but couldn't find any. This is surprising as the ceramic heaters themselves are very common and most would be made in china. I would have expected the elements to be available and quite cheap. Even searching for the heaters themselves from an overseas (110V) country didn't return many matches.

When using a hair dryer in our bathroom it only takes a few minutes to heat the bathroom. The hair dryer is a 2400W model but is normally only used on half output, 1200W. I was hoping that the ceramic heater would achieve the same for a car.

The heater in the linked video is a 110V model. The element looks identical to the one i have so it isn't that they are wired differently or anything like that. They must have different resistive values in the the ceramic sections of the element.

When i tested mine i had the element sitting with no fan blowing just like he did. I used 96V DC and it went up to 205C. I wouldn't want to try touching it through a couple of layers of paper towel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (12-29-2014)