Thread: V8 fuel economy
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #50 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasess View Post
I plan on doing aero mods at some point. I'm just setting a goal for myself with engine mods only first. My primary radiator and water pump will be in the back so I'll have to do some creative ducting any way. Since I'll have a coolant temp of 240 F I'll need a radiator about half the size of the one I have now. The coolant lines going to and from the front of the car will be aluminum and welded to the aluminum belly pan and I feel they will contribute to cooling significantly. Maybe I should just make a belly pan that IS the radiator. That would keep my CG low and between the wheels. Not to mention less drag! Has anyone ever tried anything like that?
Whoa - I like your ideas now, greasess! With the radiator in the back (or incorporated into the bellypan, you can completely block off the front, and that will help your aero a LOT. So will the aluminum bellypan!

While your engine mods sound neat, I suspect you'll see more mpg gains from the aero mods - - - unless your going to drive super-slow (which it doesn't sound like you plan to)...