View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
bumpers/abstraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Well, I'd number the pictures for you if I could. But the one I wanted to point out is the one you used as an example.

By way of your explanation—the discontinuities around the bumpers would be due to lack of sensor data.

Do you think the abstraction where they have the pressure radiating normal to the surface, or the one with a single straight line is less misleading?
Schenkel didn't seem to get into the bumpers per se

Morelli took some measurements although they're handled individually.

Here's a 1959 Chevy Bel Air,and it looks like GM investigated the bumper regions

Here's their 1960 Corvair Coupe

*Since the bumpers of the day were not integrated into the body,they'd be essentially 2-dimensional themselves and the investigators might have just blown them off.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to the pressure representations,the length of the elements depict the amplitude of the pressure as a function of the dynamic pressure.
*At 60-mph,the forward stagnation point would essentially be the dynamic pressure.
*The direction of each element would reflect the resultant force direction of the pressure acting on the surface boundary of the body.
*The 'LONG' yellow spike at the windshield indicates that the velocity of the highly accelerated local flow, exceeds the 'road speed' of the air.Flow over a roof might be 1-1/2 X the velocity of the uninterrupted flow.Same for the A-pillars.