View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #57 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dcb -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I don't buy that argument jamesqf. SUV sales are way up since the speed limit was increased. Half the crowd here is saying nobody paid attention to the 55mph speed limit anyway.
I don't understand how the speed limit is related to SUV sales. I thought it was related to cheap gas (when adjusting for inflation). From my POV, the SUV is just the return of the "Big-3 Dinosaur" car in a different form :

Public Citizen | Auto Safety Group | Auto Safety - The SUV Phenomenon: Ducking Regulations for More Than a Decade
Quote:
Following the oil crisis of the early 1970s, Congress passed ground-breaking fuel efficiency standards. Gas-guzzling dinosaurs of the road began to disappear. In the 1980s, manufacturers began to make more SUVs, taking advantage of the fact that SUVs are classified as "light trucks," so they are subject to less stringent fuel economy standards. The SUV s popularity exploded as oil prices declined and energy conservation took a back seat to the free-wheeling excess of the 1980s. Detroit also was helped along by the Reagan administration s refusal to issue any fuel economy regulations and by a congressional exemption that gives SUVs a free ride on fuel economy.
Not only does 55 MPH save gas, from a hyper-ecomodder-miler POV, a 55 MPH speed limit protects *me*.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society