View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Back to the original topic though, what kind of building permit do you need for a house like that, since it could be called a 'mobile' home ( has wheels ), yet isn't really mobile .
The reason most tiny houses are built on trailers is to get around permits. Most areas have limits on the minimum square footage of homes. Having it more like an RV makes finding a city that will allow it much easier. I'm not sure how they are treated for insurance purposes. I believe at least one tiny house builder has their's certified as RVs, so one could even take out an RV loan to buy one. I honestly haven't looked into that part of it much at this point as we're not sure where we want to end up living and the laws may change by then anyway.

Looked at trailers today. The one I linked was a little unimpressive in person, probably due to it smelling weird and being priced about the same as a new one despite some wear. There were a few nice fifth wheels, but they were either pretty beat on or over double our budget. Jayco and Starcraft both have some promising layouts that are about $25k new, but they would still need some stuff ripped out, which I would much rather do with a cheaper trailer.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread