Thread: Nissan Leaf
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #188 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
...My room mate said no electrical box upgrade. So Ill have to have a pole, box and second service and there goes the potential savings of going EV over gasoline unless gas pops up to like 5 or 7.50 a gallon.
That is not so good.
But at least it is just an issue with your room mate that may be able to be resolved.
Is the issue the cost/inconvenience of the electrical box upgrade or the EV's consumption being on a shared account?
If it is the consumption then adding a private kWh meter to the EV's circuit may help. And adding the meter during an electrical box upgrade should be really cheap.
Something like this 230V 60Hz 20A to 100A Single Phase DIN Rail Type Kilowatt Hour kWh Meter | eBay (or one suitable to your chargers amperage) should be able to be installed during the upgrade. It only takes a few minutes for the electrician to install it to monitor the EV charging circuit.

We are in the transition period between ICE and EV's. There will be loads of issues that crop up, both for individuals and for the larger community.
But one thing is for sure, things will change.

Where i live just about every new house sold has solar panels (electricity and/or water) installed on the roof. Having solar panels was considered an eccentricity a dozen years ago yet now it is a value added feature used to sell homes. I don't think it will be long before new homes have the garages pre-wired for EV charging. It is very low cost to run the extra circuit when building a house and it makes a very good selling point. What other cheapish feature can the builder add to a garage to make it seem modern and special?
With charging facilities all ready to go in your garage it would seem like a waste not to use them.
Also, once it becomes expected that a full featured home has charging facilities then you will start to see existing homes installing charging facilities. Especially rented houses where the owner is trying to attract a higher paying renter and make their house stand out from all the others.