View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I have seen most of those other campers. I like my design because it is similar to the $50k Australian 4x4 styles but not built for off road, and with a nod to aero. (and without crazy levels of craftsmanship.) The Coleman or the Wackyshack are the basic idea but they can't hold any of the gear out of the rain like my plan has. The area above the folded bed will be enclosed and 2 1/2'x5'x6' along with all the side cabinets and front 4'x2'x7' kitchen area. Finally I think I can build this (trailer, building materials, canvas) with all RV appliances (A/C, furance, fridge, inverter, hot water, etc.) for under $6000. Maybe much less if I start with a damaged regular RV to get most of the parts.

We have 3 possible tow vehicles now, a 2008 Hemi Aspen, a 2002 Subaru Forester, and a 2009 Buick Enclave which I think is on it's way out for a minivan of some kind. Behind a minivan, Enclave, or the Aspen it will be out 4" on the sides, and they are about 6'-6.5' tall so this is about the same or a little lower. The Subie wouldn't be ideal, but at least that starts with much better economy and I have used it to pull a single Waverunner quite a bit with good results. I think this thing will be about 2000# loaded but that is hard to guess, why I may want to start with a camper with 5000# axle rather then the new trailer kit which is only rated 2000# or just build the whole thing from scratch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-05-2015)