View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
spacemanspif
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Bottom Cooling...but a little different?

I converted my Saturn to 100% bottom cooling via addition of a factory air dam and duct taping up the front opening. I know Corvettes and F-bodies have used 100% bottom cooling in the past as well. I'm beginning to consider this for my current DD, Focus wagon but have a question.

Does the air dam HAVE to be placed directly under the radiator?

My Focus has a panel that is smooth under the front of the car with a small (~3/4 - 1") air dam that drops rearward and doubles as tire spats. The panel attaches to the core support and the dam is rearward of the radiator/core support. I'm thinking about completely blocking my lower grill, adding some length to the current, stock, air dam, and cut some rectangle holes in the panel to allow air up and across the radiator. I'm wondering if the dam NEEDS to be directly under the radiator or if it will have the same results placed behind the radiator but with the "only" place for the air to go being just in front of the radiator?

I can't find any pics of the stock panel but will take pics tomorrow of my car if I can get a good one.

Thanks,

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"