View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
placed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
I converted my Saturn to 100% bottom cooling via addition of a factory air dam and duct taping up the front opening. I know Corvettes and F-bodies have used 100% bottom cooling in the past as well. I'm beginning to consider this for my current DD, Focus wagon but have a question.

Does the air dam HAVE to be placed directly under the radiator?

My Focus has a panel that is smooth under the front of the car with a small (~3/4 - 1") air dam that drops rearward and doubles as tire spats. The panel attaches to the core support and the dam is rearward of the radiator/core support. I'm thinking about completely blocking my lower grill, adding some length to the current, stock, air dam, and cut some rectangle holes in the panel to allow air up and across the radiator. I'm wondering if the dam NEEDS to be directly under the radiator or if it will have the same results placed behind the radiator but with the "only" place for the air to go being just in front of the radiator?

I can't find any pics of the stock panel but will take pics tomorrow of my car if I can get a good one.

Thanks,
From what I remember,the air dam was directly below the opening of the inlet duct,creating the stagnation pressure to induce the flow in the absence of a scoop (which wouldn't survive in such a location).
The bottom of the airdam on the bottom-breather Trans Am Firebird was around 10mm lower than on the entry level Firebird.
Also,you may not want any type of airdam ahead of your inlet,and you'll want some radius under the bottom edge to keep the flow attached to the inlet,or you might starve the inlet.
I've seen a lot of these on Corvettes and Trans Am's ripped away on driveway ramps.
Watch your clearances!