View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #105 (permalink)
bdesj
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Good going, Piwoslaw
Out of curiosity, is your string of new records due to riding your commute rather than a different method when it gets progressively colder, or you ride no matter what, and the temps happen to get colder than previous years of riding to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
One of the things I've noticed while commuting for the last 18 months is that my average speed is proportional to the temperature - the colder it gets the slower I go. For example, my average speed for the whole week (200km) is 22-23 km/h in summer (my best week was 25 km/h!), which drops to 20-21 km/h in the winter. I would think that colder tire rubber has lower rolling resistance, but then cold air is denser, increasing drag. More likely my body is using more energy to keep warm, this would explain why I am more tired at the end of the trip, even though I am going slower.
That happens to everybody. Two other factors to consider are more clothes in cold weather and (for me, anyway) different tires. I use nice light and flimsy ones in warm weather when the possibility of fixing a flat is no big deal, but mount much tougher (and less efficient) tires when I know I`ll be seeing a lot of rides at or below freezing point. Flat fixing in the cold sucks!

And completely aside from physics, just being cold, dark, or gloomy seems to make me lazy, less apt to pedal any harder than necessary