View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #106 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
Have to admit that I love to ride in winter especially when a fresh snow is lying on the ground. It feels like I was a ghost the ride is so silent.
Silent, except for the squeaking of the rusty chain. Rusty from all the salt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
Out of curiosity, is your string of new records due to riding your commute rather than a different method when it gets progressively colder, or you ride no matter what, and the temps happen to get colder than previous years of riding to work?
Dunno, it just kinda happened. I assumed that I'll just stop riding when the temperature falls below -5C and/or it starts to snow. But this winter is very fussy, comes and goes, the temp can drop from +8C in the evening to -10C in the morning, or vice versa, just barely snows - not enough to make riding unsafe, etc. So I kept riding and taking the train only on the few days when it was really bad, or taking it only in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
Regarding health hazard. You have to keep your feet and hands warm, use ski goggles, protect your face with a ski mask and you'll be fine
I'll have to find that article and read it again, but I think that health risks meant respitory and heart problems, not just freezing off your extremities. On the other hand it doesn't mean that riding in extreme weather isn't possible (like Bastien Demange, who cycled Siberia in winter).

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread