View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #29 (permalink)
kafer65
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Or trailer designs should be mandated to be more efficient. I really can't understand why not making them in a monocoque design like it's already done with buses, which would make them lighter and more aerodynamic. And nowadays that air suspension is widespread in heavy commercial vehicles, even some fully-independent suspension setup relying in a trailing arm for each wheel (without axles) similar to what is applied to motorcycle rear wheels could be attempted in order to allow for a lower boarding height where it's possible, thus increasing the interior volume of the trailer while keeping its overall height lower.
I'm not advocating mandates (especially funded federal ones) but I agree a lower boarding height design has been on my mind. I think the current standard is elegant in its simplicity and probably much cheaper to construct and repair OTOH. I was thinking of side structures like the Ariel Atom but curtained smooth. Incentivize the good designs and let the free market adopt Still have to consider the cost of all of the loading docks that would need to be changed.

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html