View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
96 Taco Build/Discussion Thread

This is sort of an continuation of this thread, but got a new truck .
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ild-27221.html

So the story behind this truck is that I wanted one truck for MPG that I drove quite often, and a 4x4 v6 truck for hulling larger loads and having a bit a fun. Anyway, after tons of research and waiting for the right deal I ended up with a 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SX with a 3.4L v6 and manual transmission with the factory 31 inch tires. Trip home with it on the highway and ~60-65mph yielded around 27mpg (ultra gauge seems a tiny bit high on my first fill-up). First tank of driving it to work wasn't so nice at 18mpg, but that is with around 90% in 4x4 on snow and ice covered roads.

So far I'm noticing that the engine warms up a tiny bit slower than the 4cyl trucks, but not much slower. The interesting part is it keeps getting better and better mpg the further I go and the engine temp sticks right at 195F, so I'm suspecting the axles/transmission/transfer case warming up helps tons on the mpg. I'm probably going to put in some sort of synthetic fluid for everything including 5w30 for the engine as the owners manual calls for. Anything anyone suggests? I'm leaning towards Amsoil 75w90 full synthetic.

Now I know I have basically everything going against me except the fact it is a manual, but I'd like to get a nice summer average of 30mpg or better, even better would be year around average but I'll target low for now since it is a v6 and 4x4 .

I'll have to get some photos up of the truck factory and start getting things done up to help the mpg. So far seems the best mpg is around 40-45mph in 5th (in this snow at least) at around 28mpg, and 4th around 30mph I see 30mpg quite a lot. So hopefully in 2wd and getting the synthetics in will help with this cold weather even though they won't help keep the roads clear lol.