View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Big Dave
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Prowling the Midwest’s Interstates as I do, I see a lot of the MVT aero-trailers with the folding tail, smooth disc wheel covers, and under-trailer fairing.

These guys are not doing this for PR purposes. Trucking is a ruthlessly competitive biz and every little edge matters. Obviously this elaborate aero treatment is saving them appreciable amounts in fuel of they wouldn’t be doing it on such a wide scale.

I’ve been thinking about something like this, only motor-operated remotely controlled from the cab. In an urban/suburban setting there is such a thing as “too much tail.” Most vehicles are not afforded the slack given to school buses and garbage trucks. In an urban setting speeds are usually low and a long tail doesn’t buy you much.

Likewise I don’t have an unlimited garage. My truck nearly fills the space allocated for it. Bondo’s tailgate plug, if fixed, would not fit. Because I drive a lot of open road, alonger tail is obviously desirable.

What would work is having one or two 12v motors that folded/unfolded a plug much like the Class 8 trailers. In the garage or around town the tail is folded against the tailgate, maybe adding 6 inches of overall length (acceptable). Once out on the road the driver unfolds it to reap the reward of lower coefficient of drag.

Here in the windy Midwest a third motor would provide a solid lockdown to use against strong cross or tailwinds. Last spring, I didn’t get my ARE flat tonneau fastened down tightly and a crosswind got under it and ripped it off the truck. I had to chase it 50 yards out into a muddy cornfield. No fun.

Any folding tail appliance had to be able to be quickly and positively secured.

With all this machinery on it, the tailgate will probably need a balance spring or gas struts to make lifting the tailgate possible.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Dave For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-23-2015)