View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
@ the RPM comment, I was way off. 2.5k rpm in 5th gear is 61mph the speed I travel the express way .

@mikeyjd

Your build thread is the first result I could find about ecomodding a Tacoma so I already read it but thanks for the link anyway . I'm *hoping* to beat some of your numbers , but I don't do any short trips except to my mom/dad's place which is about 8 miles. Work is ~40 miles each way and town is around 20 miles.

I really think the transmission, transfer case, and axle lube is dragging down my mpg. Also from a tiny bit of research, it sounds like the carrier bearing for the drive shaft goes bad on these semi often. Not where it stops you from driving, just the vibration and extra friction. On my other 1985 GMC pile of crap truck, I put a straight drive shaft in and it seemed to help a little with its huge lack of power, but I'd fear the clearance issues on my yoter since I don't plan to keep it only on the road .

My truck came with 31x10.5x15 tires factory, I'm thinking about trying to find some skinnier ones that are semi aggressive to meet my off-roading/snow requirements while still trying to keep the rolling resistance down. The tires on my truck are pretty shot already, and am pretty amazed how well it handles the snow and ice.