View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Number21
EcoModding Lurker

Building a hybrid truck?

I don't really have a good reason, I've just always wanted to build a hybrid pickup truck. Recently I bought a 2WD diesel single cab Ford Super Duty, I would like to see what kind of mileage I can squeeze out of this thing.

My question is how have other people implemented hybrids on larger vehicles like this? I've considered a "BAS" type hybrid, where an electric motor is belted to the engine to reduce it's load and act as a starter to reduce idling. I like this idea but you can't drive the vehicle on electric power only.

I would really like to be able to drive the truck at slow speed (<20 MPH) with electric power only. This way the engine can be turned off completely in heavy traffic, parking lots, drive throughs, etc. I have considered installing a front axle from a 4WD truck, and drive that with an electric motor. Has anybody ever done this?

Are there any other types of hybrid propulsion people have come up with to modify existing vehicles? I feel like there is a lot to be gained from regenerative breaking on a vehicle of this size.