View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
I will post my experiences. I run 235/85R16 Michelin LTX M/S2 on my 2005 Tacoma on factory 16” TRD alloys. I also have a set of 255/85R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T on a second set of factory 16” TRD alloys for off-road use. On my truck both fit with no lift and don’t rub (note I am on stock wheels). I later added Bilstein 5100’s on the front at 1.75” and they still fit and don’t rub.

The 235/85R16s are only going to be available in LT rated sizes which are heavy but more durable for off-roading (versus P or SL). The weight of the tire will affect the ride slightly (sprung vs un-sprung ratio increases). My mainly highway MPGs stayed the same (+/- 0.5 or less) between cheap brand 245/75R16 on steels to 235/85R16 Michelin LTX M/S2 on alloys when adjusted for diameter. If I put the off-road 255/85R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T on the truck, the highway MPG goes down approximately 2MPG adjusted for diameter, mainly due to the aggressive tread pattern. The sound of the mud terrain drone is the sound of aerodynamic drag. Look at my fuel log to see the actual tanks; I usually make a note on the log when I am running the different tires. (Note I think this gap was wider prior to my front air dam.)

The 235/85R16 Michelin LTX M/S2 are awesome on pavement (wet, dry, whatever) and do ok (better than you would think by looking at them) offroad, except in mud where they quickly get loaded up. The 255/85R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T aren’t that great on the pavement, but seem to do better off the pavement, especially in mud/soft soil. I would not want to run mud terrain tires on the highway all the time, maybe it is the lack of siping but the handling just isn’t the same.

Switching back and forth is a pain, so I may just switch to some all terrains when these wear down. I will be looking at Michelin A/T 2 or Cooper AT3 when my tires wear down. The Cooper AT3’s have plenty of sipes like my current M/S 2.