View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
I should note that my truck is the second generation Tacoma, so I don’t know if 255/85R16’s will fit your first generation Tacoma or not.

I would note that there can be big differences between actual dimensions of tires even within the same “size.” I would suggest as you narrow your search in to purchase, you look up the manufacturers specifications versus using an online calculator. Tire Rack has most of the information available for their tires. For example: 235/85R16 Michelins: Tread width 6.6" & Diameter 31.7" but 235/85R16 Bridgestone: Tread width 7.2" & Diameter 31.8".

I should also note I have some other comparison data for these tires (as they are a hand-me-down from other trucks I own.) On my 1991 Chevy 2500LD 4x4 (5.7L, NV4500 Manual, RCLB) which I was driving for a while, I also had the two tire/switch back and forth set up going. I had LT265/75R16 Uniroyal Laredos for one set and the LT255/85R16 Cooper Discoverers for the other. Note the Uniroyals are wider and more of a street oriented all terrain tread pattern, and the Coopers were taller and more of an offroad oriented all terrain pattern. Both set ups weighed about the same, and I adjusted my speed and mileage for diameter when I ran them. In almost identical conditions, over several tanks the Coopers would get 2.5 less MPG than the Uniroyal’s. (14.5 MPG versus 17 MPG) Note that this is the shorter wider tire outperforming the taller skinnier tire. I gather from this that tread pattern and rolling resistance have more to do with the MPG from a tire than width, height, or weight.

Also the handling/stopping of the truck was much worse with the Coopers than with the Uniroyals. This truck didn’t have fancy things like antilock brakes. There were several times I was forced to do emergency panic stops in my truck (do older trucks look farther away…?). Stopping with the Uniroyals was ok (not great but in control), but stops with the Coopers would literally send me sliding into other lanes (not at all fun). I know this was more of a truck brakes issue than a tire issue, but it illustrates the advantages of an onroad tread pattern which increased the performance of the truck in a sticky onroad situation. Let’s face it, most of us drive our 4x4 trucks way more on the road than off of it.

My suggestion is to not overlook the importance of tread pattern. My recent tire purchases have focused on picking a tread pattern first, and a size second.