View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #1581 (permalink)
cts_casemod
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Most of this inductor discussion is going way over my head but i am curious. Isn't an inductor at it's simplest just a coil of wire? Couldn't we make our own? I know there is probably a lot of sophisticated and precision manufacturing involved to get every last percent of performance from an inductor but couldn't we devise a way to DIY something that gets us close?
You most certainly can. Im building my own test inductors for my charger, but they dont come cheap and there is a lot of work involved in researching suitable cores, frequency ranges, inductances and most importantly finding the right supplier. The cores look the same but they have very different characteristics, to which I would rather be backed up by graphs as the one posted by Paul, that clearly dictate the inductor specs at any given current range.

At high frequencies one needs to accound hysterisys, skin losses and the inductance variation with current, so the original simulations may not prove exactly the same results as expected on a DIY setup. More, it is impossible to guarantee that a particular build is exactly the same, the windings are all re-arranged equally, air gap is correct, etc, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to cts_casemod For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (01-13-2015)