View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
bannie
Curious Newcomer

That's good to know about the automatics...

Part of me would love to have something like the XR-3 Hybrid, but I may not have adequate time to build something to the same detail level of the XR-3, and it may not quite be in the budget as well.

I've always toyed with the idea of building something similar to a simplified version of the XR-3, but using the drivetrain of a Honda Goldwing, with steeply reclined seats, and a welded steel tube structure for a safety cage, and use the front wheels & steering / suspension from an older style 70's VW Beetle.

Or perhaps purchase a Kubota Diesel, and mate it with a drivetrain, and drop it into a more simplified & low-cost kit car design based off a factory car...

Here at work, the engineering team puts on an annual "Pinewood Derby" contest using a highly advanced track with timers, etc... There are numerous classes - like BSA class, and Anything Goes... It's incredibly impressive to see how engineers design for aerodynamics, and to see what does and doesn't work best. These guys use CNC and 3D modeling to cut their pinewood derby cars to truly amazing designs, and use clever weight distribution... To see how those designs worked out aerodynamically was impressive.

Seeing custom designs that significantly improve aerodynamics is inspiring to say the least. But I also have to keep cost and self-maintainability and long term parts availability & commonality in mind.

What do you guys suggest? Or just get a used Carolla?

Edited: Yeah, I LOVE my Farmall! I truly wish there was a way to install a Farmall 400 / SuperM engine into a car... I absolutely LOVE being able to completely rebuild the engine for under $500, including replacement cylinder sleeves, replacement pistons/rings... Engine wears out? Just re-line it, new gaskets, check your valves & seating - good to go! They're so easy to work on and keep running. It's still running on a 1987 battery too - why use the battery when I can crank start it?

Too bad car manufacturers don't design engines to have lifelong replacement & repair capability. I'm sure I'm at least the 3rd generation to own that tractor, and it's running great.

It takes the township about 3-4 days after a storm to get around to plowing out my way, and I have one neighbor with a large brand new Case IH and he blows about 2.5 miles to the main road - so I only have to blow out about 1 mile, about 3 passes to clear the road (unless it's really deep). I used to drive the tractor into town for food & supplies during a couple huge blizzards our first winter in ND (before I had the 79 Chevy). When the snow gets extremely deep the narrow-front wheels no longer do anything for steering - I have to steer the tractor with the left & right brake pedals to keep it on the road if snow is over 2-3 feet deep! But it'll run through anything!

Last edited by bannie; 01-14-2015 at 04:17 PM..