View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #159 (permalink)
orbywan
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLee View Post
Orbywan, great job. I really like your rig and your mods. Anything you can do to save gas, even though it's now below $2.00 a gallon is still a great idea.

I have put a Front air dam and wheel skirts on mt 26 ft Fleetwood Flair. Now your design of a "caboose" looks like it would save gas. Maybe paint flames on it! Actually if the paint scheme is continued on the back that would be awesome.

Are you going to put the back up camera on the back? It looks like you need that.

Here is my link to my build.
1993 Fleetwood Flair

Side skirts would be easy if I could find cheap flexible plastic panels to screw on.

I am trying to get a consistent 15 mpg, but I usually drive a little too fast, 60 mph, to get much more than 10.5 mpg. Better "tail feathers" to my rig may be the key.

Cheers, Lee
Hi Lee, my RV is a test vehicle for my camera business. It has two of our Total Vision pan and tilt cameras on the back (two for comparing camera performance side by side) two side cameras, two roofcams on the top for checking A/C housing clearances going forwards and back wards, two dually cams, one looking at each dually set to check for rocks stuck in between the duallies when I'm off road with it (which is a lot), plus they let me check the status of the belly pans when they are installed, and last but not least a hitchcam inside the boat tail looking at the 36" extended hitch, which sometimes is handling a 3500+ pound boat and trailer.

All of that video is managed by one of our 8-camera digital switchers, as well as the quad input 9" monitor on the dash console. Sweet setup. It's funny, I just looked at a 2000 flair thinking about a newer rig, but I like this turbo diesel a lot. The power on hills and when towing is addictive.

Haven't had time to do any more aero modding for quite a while. I took most of the belly pans off to work on the drive train and the added drag has deleted most of the gains brought about with the boat tail. Never enough hours in a day.

I need to re-install the belly pans, add a front spoiler and I'd really like to do some work around the duallies, there is a lot of drag there.

Last edited by orbywan; 01-15-2015 at 07:48 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to orbywan For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-17-2015), BamZipPow (03-21-2016), HHOTDI (03-21-2016), Joggernot (08-04-2015)