View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 AM   #25 (permalink)
BlackDeuceCoupe
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_04 View Post
any one here think that perhaps the acetone acts as a fuel injector/carb cleaner and not a fuel booster?
Yes! Thank you!!!

I was going to remark on that, but I can't do this all myself...

In my voluminous career - I was once a boat mechanic - motorcycle & marine mechanic, to be exact!

Here was the drill for 2-stroke outboard owners...
  • Gets too cold to fish, ski, whatever in September. Also, it evidently gets too cold to drain the ^%$# gas lines on the outboard. Hello?!?!?
  • April rolls around and the gas (from September) has now evaporated, but NOT the oil, which has now turned to glue!
  • Mr. Stupid-Lazy brings boat into the shop complaining that he cannot get it started...
  • Shop owner says no problem - we'll do a major tuneup for $100!
  • We pump acetone through the fuel system and let it do it's thing while setting the ignition timing, checking the water pump impeller for missing vanes etc, and making sure the lower-end has grease in it (not water).
  • Acetone is purged, motor is cranked - ching, ching - $100 for a 1/2 hour work.

Bottom line: Personally, I *think* all this acetone is doing is eating the built-up deposits off fuel injectors, intake valves and combustion chambers - same as running high-detergent Top Tier gas (Shell, Chevron, Texaco) - but to each his own...