View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
The last generation was supposedly less than .39 - hopefully this one is better.
Regarding the new one,
I can see a really nice teardrop shape to the cabin in plan view, and the protruding rear wheels are isolated.
I would guess that the air flows around the cabin and out the back, reducing the overall size of the wake.
The wheels however are an aero disaster !

I found this info. on the last generation of the car :
" Let's talk aero. The body development team began its work by putting a 1968 GT40 in a California rolling-road wind tunnel borrowed from race-car builder Swift Engineering of San Clemente. The results, per performance development supervisor Kent Harrison, were sobering. In addition to an indifferent coefficient of drag-about 0.43-front-end lift at high speeds was in the aircraft realm: The car wanted to fly.

"The tunnel data gave me new respect for Gurney and Foyt and all those guys going flat-out on the Mulsanne straight," he said. "Wow."

With no constraints, Harrison's job would have been simple: reduce Cd, reduce drag, and reduce lift. But of course there were constraints. For one, the team was stuck with the basic shape. For another, the GT is a bigger car than its ancestor-6.9 inches wider, 3.8 inches taller, and 18.3 inches longer.

Aero is a subtle business, and in fact the fine-tuning of the GT's aluminum skin is still in progress. Harrison was not prepared to give us a final Cd number, although he acknowledged the goal was "less than 0.39.
" "
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-17-2015)