View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
awcook
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
If you get 32 MPG on the freeway route and 26 in the city route, you should be using the same amount of gas, since the freeway is 6 miles longer, you need 6 more MPG to make up for the gas. Another thing to account is how the construction and railroads will affect your gas mileage. In my city, whenever there is a train, you will be sitting for at least 5 minutes, which is a pain in the butt and can cause excessive idling. Even if the city route for me is shorter, that doesn't make if faster or as fuel efficient.

Something that I have noticed about myself when driving around town is that I get aggressive and impatient in city driving, but on the freeway I get calmer and more patient. Find out which of these areas you are better at and stick to doing that. Most hypermilers try to stick to city streets because they can drive without the engine in those environments, but when driving an automatic you don't get as many opportunities to turn the engine off.

For what basjoos said, I think makes a lot of sense. Taking into account the load on the engine and transmission, stoplight to stoplight driving is pretty bad.

Like others have said, get instrumentation and track your statistics.