View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #47 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett701 View Post
That is a great option. I just don't know if I can stand to drive that color of car for so long. I know it's cosmetic, but its the truth.

Thank you.
You can't beat a Yaris for low maintenance and reliability. Drive it two years, put 45k miles on the car, same as the Altima.

At just under 100k miles total the Yaris is still worth $4k, Compare that to what the Altima cost you for 45k miles. The Yaris would do that with almost no repairs, maybe a set of tires, some plugs, and several oil changes.

If color is your rejection criteria, then sell the Yaris when you get your finances straight, or get the damn thing repainted.

What you don't want to do is buy something that needs any potential major work, which, in your first post stated not mechanically inclined.

$325 X 22 months + $325 X 14 months = $11700. Add another $5-6k for taxes, insurance and gas. You're at $18k for that 45k miles.

Same miles on the Yaris.

$2500 depreciation versus $11700, slightly better mileage, much lower taxes and insurance. That will get you back into positive equity, then stay there.

regards
mech