View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
rumdog
aero enthusiast

Blue beauty - '02 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Hey, welcome! Nice pics too. I can't believe this greeting got missed given the cool project it presents. I'm sure people would love more details on the rubber covering and how you did it. I don't think I have seen that here yet. And what do you mean "hole in the top" of your gas tank? I hope that's just a missing cap, or maybe a lead foot!
Thanks California98civic for the welcome. Its a fairly similar shape to many of the truck toppers on here, maybe with a longer overhang at the back. Which just happened as i built it because i used 10 foot strips of wood, then standing back looking at it, i decided to keep it long for aero benefit.
construction is using 1/2 inch ply and studs ripped into about 3/8" strips... see photo, then lots of PL premium and narrow crown staples. The rubber is hard to name as my buddy has a roll of it and gave me a big chunk. It is between 1/16th an 1/8th thick and has a grid of fibre inside it. It doesn't stretch much so had to have a join along where the side meets the top. I stapled it on with a T50 electric staple gun. Pretty simple construction, hardest part was figuring out the "arches".
And the gas tank issue is a leak! But in the top half of the tank... it will take 50 litres no problem, but i can't measure full to full. Shes not the most efficient vehicle on the site but i need the 8' box for work and now towing the trailer too. And the price was right! Free.

Dirty dave: thanks man, im pretty stoaked on how the shape turned out, and yea it must help a little pulling the trailer, but watch this space... i would like to have the topper 'up' to punch the hole for the trailer, semi style! I have tried it already but it needs a little refining (work)

The magnum is our new family wagon, and i am currently doing a mpg test on it stock, on a trip from saskachewan canada to los angeles... 2850 kms each way. So far im pretty happy, it rides nice and smooth and is returning under 10litres/100kms... doing the speed limit which is 80mph in places on I15. Its the "small" 2.7l V6. Would love to bellypan it and maybe rear wheel skirts etc. I do like the low stance and tapering shape, feels stable in the crazy crosswinds!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150110_133028.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	16791   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150110_132914.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	16792  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rumdog For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-25-2015), BamZipPow (02-26-2015)