View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Settled on the 235/85/16 ironman tires, which are made by Cooper. The brand had good reviews on other tires, but couldn't find any for these exact tires. Oddly I found a lot of people had issues with the BFG's. I also picked up a set of 4runner rims with 3 good tires to resell for $60. Same style as my truck came with, except 16 inch .

Anyway, I got to trail ride my truck for the first time yesterday, did great! I could probably have just left it in 2wd in the snow and did find with my crappy street tires that are bald.

For the transmission fluid, transfercase, and axles I'm going to go with Red Line. From research, ANYTHING todo with transmission issues and such people suggest red line and report with with great results. Amsoil, royal purple, and mobile1 are all good fluids, but none of them helped with shifting problems and such. Interesting read since the red line 75w rate gear lube is about as thick as motor oil, I think the one use was guessing around 10w30, that should help a little with mpg.

Since I have been driving my truck, I found there is for sure some sort of lube issue with cold weather, I suspect someone put in too thick of fluid. I can feel it dragging me down till everything warms up in a good 15 miles or so. My truck is a bit hard to shift into 1st when it is cold so I'm hoping the red line will help with that too.

Still no photos, I'm slacking!