View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
bentring
EcoModding Lurker

Stream - '16 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 33.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
What about an SUV? If you get a hybrid, you get carrying capacity, passenger capacity, and decent fuel mileage. Maybe a Ford Escape Hybrid or a Toyota Highlander Hybrid? The CR-V isn't a hybrid, but gets decent mileage.
I had thought of an SUV, but a quick search shows that to get a hybrid I might have to spend more than I'm willing to for a work vehicle. I love the thought of passing the fuel stations more often, but it seems like it would take a whole lotta miles to make up the cost of an extra 2-5 grand over something like a 2.3 5 speed Ranger for an extra 4 or 5 epa mpg. Not to mention I tend to prefer older vehicles I can work on, and have no idea how a hybrid even works mechanically, to be honest.

Something like a turn of the century CR-V or Jetta wagon might be worth the trouble, but if I'm going that route I would definitely make sure my tools would fit safely. I'm 99% sure a Prius wouldn't work for the space, or the price...

Makes me wonder if the wifes old park avenue would work for this purpose since she only drives it to work on the weekends, and it's paid for. I know it's not the typical hypermiling car, but it can cruise on the interstate all day long doing 75 getting over double what my diesel does.

And yes, I know I shouldn't be going that fast if I care about efficiency no matter what I'm in.