View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbd56 View Post
When I changed it on my crx i researched that and came to opinions being generally 50/50 between Honda MTF and synchromesh. I ended up using synchromesh and I approve!

I'm another one that has no VW experience but I have been bent over backwards by dealerships.
My Toyota Tacoma had an electrical problem, I would turn on the cruise control and set the speed. If I were to turn on my parking lights it would kill my CC and I couldn't use it again until I killed and re started the engine. After weeks of trying to figure it out myself for weeks I took it to toyota and come to find out there was a short in the taillight bulb. $120 later... FOR A BULB they charged me for an hour of labor, when I bet it took the mechanic 5 minutes.

Took my CRX to Honda for blinkers not working. They fixed that for a hour of labortook the car home and tried to start it the next morning, no juice, the battery was dead. Lights weren't on and battery was just fine before the dealership. Called and left a voicemail on how the tech killed my battery (porter even told me my car had to be jumped) so they looked at my car free of charge. Then I get a call and they want $464 to replace the alternator. Hell NO. Cost me $80 for a new alternator and a couple hours of my time.
So after "weeks" of trying to fix it yourself, you begrudge a tech one hour to diagnose the issue and replace the bulb that was causing the problem? Particularly the implication that the tech "knew" the bulb was the cause of the problem therefore not deserving of any diagnostic time allowed.

As far as the battery issue. Did you replace the battery or just charge it?

I had a regular customer and his daughter's 280Z on the lift in my shop and the water pump seal gave out and it literally dumped a gallon of coolant right there. I caught most of it in my drain pan. The father and daughter, a very beautiful young lady, had restored the car for her to drive to college.

Expecting to be savaged for my "sabotage" of his young daughters prize, and the product of their labor, I was amazed to hear him say, I am sure glad that happened here instead of some dark rainy night on the side of I64 where she disappeared and I never saw her again.

Two sides to every story.

Pay my overhead and my employees a decent wage while expecting them to only charge you for a light bulb replacement? I'd bet it wasn't a short or it would blow a fuse, probably the wrong bulb installed by who? The wrong bulb was grounding throught the brake light circuit and killing the cruise control.

Did the tech you got to fix your CC install the wrong bulb?

My apologies to the author of this post who may think I have singled him-her out for criticism. I agree with those who fix their own, but they must realize they have no outside quality control other than themselves. A shop owner risks his lifes savings on every job that leaves his shop. I know there are bad ones and good ones and they are fairly easy to figure out with the internet.

regards
mech
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
some_other_dave (01-26-2015), vrmouseyd15b (01-26-2015)