View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
I think of the small generator as more like "emergency use". The "other purposes" stuff is a bit of a red-herring if the main purpose is range extension.

But a homebrew series hybrid is going to be very inefficient, and the number of charging stations is growing daily PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!

It just makes more sense to have a beater (possibly as backup) if an ev doesn't meet your driving needs IMHO.
Unfortunately the yearly registration and insurance here in Australia is more than the cheapest cars are worth.
Reg and insurance is $757.70 annually compared to my EV conversion donor car purchase cost of $400.

That plug share site shows only one available charge site on my monthly long distance route. Unfortunately it is located about 2% into my trip so it wouldn't make much difference charging there or before i left. Also it is at a car dealership, there is only one charge point and it would most likely be in use by the cars being serviced. The dealer isn't even the same make of car as mine.

If the generator can extend my range enough to safely get to my destination where i know there are available charge facilities. Then that would be preferable to me. Maybe soon there will be extra charge stations added along the route and i could feel more confident of getting a mid trip top up.

This does lead me to think about what the social conventions around charge points are. At a petrol station there are lots of pumps and once you fill up you are expected to pay and move away from the pumps.

But with an EV the charge time is longish so people would be likely to grab a bite to eat while they wait. But what about when somebody decides to have an hour long lunch while their EV blocks the only charge point? Do the charge points make some sort of attention getting display to attract the attention of the owner when they complete the charge?

What about somebody that commutes to work, parks their EV at a charge point, then goes into work leaving their car all day in the charge point parking spot?

Same for shopping centre car parks, the charging stations there could be blocked for hours by drivers that park there to get their free top up. The top up may only take minutes if they are local yet they could spend hours shopping.

I am hoping for something like a subtle flashing light or beeping sound for say the first 5 minutes after the charge completes but that slowly escalates to a car alarm intensity if the charge cable isn't removed.