View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #47 (permalink)
bluesteel93
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Wow that does look nice!! No problem on the help, it was a blast! Just remember to watch those temps, you can go from good mpg to needing a new engine really quickly! May I recommend an aftermarket temp gauge? It's what I did on my '95 Camry and it worked great until the gauge broke.

[Edit]: I'll warn you, a ticket for not having a front license plate is 250$. You can cut the license plate thin and bolt it to the grill block so it won't effect aero, and you won't have to risk a ticket.

Do you mind posting behind shots of how you mounted the grill block? I have been thinking of doing something similar to my insight.
I probably will get a new water temp gauge in the future. Does anyone know how accurate the stock water temp gauge is on these civics? I know on some cars they pretty much just stay in the middle unless you're overheating. According to the gauge right now though the temps seem to be doing fine. We'll see how it does when it starts warming up. I can easily make a new center block that has a bigger opening if I have to now that I have an accurate template to go off of.

I'm not too worried about a front license plate ticket, but I was planning on putting it back on anyway.

I'll try to remember to take more pics of how I mounted the grill block when I take it off to paint it. Basically I just made some 1x2 inch L brackets from some spare sheet aluminum and screwed them to the factory grill. Then I screwed the grill block to the L brackets. Seems pretty durable and should hold up well. The side blocks I made are simply screwed into the plastic part of the middle horizontal fin using sheet metal screws. They seem plenty secure, but time will tell how they hold up.