View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 AM   #249 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Phack-

Thank you for the suggestion; it certainly does belong under the "hot-rodding" discussion.

For what it's worth, the MGR unfortunately doesn't have an easily accessable lump like the one in the picture. I was trying to find something like that for a center tap to do my initial impedance measurements. For some reason it's really buried.

Regarding pack wiring & stuff, I will be using Leaf cells. I have 48 modules sitting in my shop right now. The wiring is actually really simple. Each module has 3 connectors, arranged in a symmetrical row on the top. The center connector is only for measurement purposes. Each module actually contains 4 cells - 2 in parallel, two pairs in series. Also, there are actually two versions of each module, where the polarity of the connectors are reversed.

Anyway, this allows for very straight-forward connections between modules using short, straight busbar type connectors. The OE setup has a zillion little wires to connect the BMS. I'm not a fan of zillions of wires, so I am designing a BMS board that will span 6 modules, or 12 series connected cell pairs. The BMS will bolt directly to the modules requiring only the communication wire and some temperature sensors.

My initial 48 modules has a voltage of 3.85V/cell * 2 * 48 = 369.6V. My initial test setup will use two motors in front, and the 369V should be able to power it well enough for some interesting drives around the block.

Anyway, I guess this is way OT for the MGR; I'll start putting this stuff together for the build thread.

- E*clipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
I see, it has been explored for a while around the net, though I didn't see anything that said it shouldn't be done, but with the boost><buck converter (does the highlander use one? is it sitting in the junkyard?) it allows 'em to regen to a much lower speed. But for just going forward I'd think it'd be ok, certainly you can add more batteries later if not.

edit 3: 650v/1.732050808= 375v delta voltage
80hp*746=60kw
60k/375=160A delta current/motor
*4=640A, 3.5C of a calb 180ah, should be able to handle it for a good while for all 4 motors. calb 180 is 3C continuous current 540A.
375/3.2=117 cells. Looking at $28,000 in batteries. (you mentioned leaf somewhere I think, like 220a fuse on that pack, so like 50 modules in series w/3 in parallel, 150 66a,7.5v modules total, $18k without quantity discounting) )