View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 12:54 AM   #52 (permalink)
Striker2237
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Magnum - '03 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
90 day: 11.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
A vehicles strength in a crash has nothing to do with having a traditional frame. The only advantage a truck has is that it sits up above most of the immediate danger. But the most dangerous part of an accident is not being hit by anything, it's the G forces that your organs are subjected to.

I also prefer larger cars. Money is nice, but it doesn't mean much if you're dead. Just my $.02
Ok sure, tell that to my same mechanic friend who just got hit by a drunk this week. He was driving a 1982 chevy pickup and the other guy (drunk) was in a "safe" modern car (focus 9 or 10 no sure what year) and his truck is mostly fine, needs new front axle and transfer-case but both him and his son walked away uninjured, form a 55mph plus crash mind you. Other guy had his engine cut in half by the truck's bumper and was crushed to the point I couldn't even tell what brand or make it was and the guy is in ICU. So frame kinda does have something to do with it, Ill take 1/2 inch of steel over a bunch of 1/32 sheets welded together any day after seeing what happened. Before I was of the belief that modern cars were safe even without a frame and of smaller size due to the complicated crumple zones and crap-ton of airbags, not anymore. The frame cut the unibody in half and if my friend didn't try to dodge the drunk than he would be cut in half like the passenger side of his car. (thank god no one was in that side)