View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rishar
What did I just do?!

Angry Bird - '10 Toyota Prius
90 day: 62.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
I'll be watching with interest. I've been toying with designs using a hitch-mounted cargo rack as a basis for a boattail; how do you think you'll attach yours?
There's a few attach points. There are 5 under the hatch spoiler. I'll be removing the tail lights from their current location and using mount points that are behind them. I'm not sure about lower. I'll be removing the bumper at a later time (not difficult as it turns out) and looking behind it for the lower points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I was looking at your second image,with the 'Template' overlay.
It looks like there's a discrepancy between the height of the Prius,and it's position of a max. roof camber,and the corresponding point on the 'Template.'
This area is extremely important to the boundary layer.
I recommend that you reexamine the overlay.
Anything you put back behind the car is going to help,but if you get it 'right',you'll get the biggest bang for your buck.
And you're looking at a few hundreds of hours of work to create the tail.You sure don't want to do it over.
I certainly would not want to do it over, you are right about that Aerohead. What I did was mostly just a way to extend the current contours of the Prius. Not quite right as you pointed out. Though I'm not sure how to line it up so it is right on. Based on how it reads "I think" it goes like this?

Which would be way off as far as a streamlined rear end with that overlay...which makes me think I'm doing it wrong.

Or this one which is 'mostly' lined up.