View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #231 (permalink)
OG VX
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Update 2/1: Eco-Modder Custom Shift Knob(s) by Daox

Hello all. As many of you are aware, EM member and board Moderator Daox has been working to create some parts for our cars using his 3-D printer. His discussion thread on the matter can be found here. I was a bit stuck on which route to go with a custom shift knob on the car, and I was also at a cross-roads with deciding how I wanted to do a kill switch. So, when I saw that he was planning to make a custom knob with the EM logo, plus an integrated kill switch, I jumped on board as fast as I could. The result is in this post. Daox has been an absolute pleasure to work with! He sent me a finished knob within a week. As with any proto-type, the knob ended up having some issues working for me on arrival.

- The thread hole to screw knob onto shifting post was too shallow (not deep enough to get all the way down my shift post)
- Screws sent to bolt the two halves of the knob were a bit too long; need to get some shorter ones (see pic below for gap when fully tightened)
- I felt the overall size of the knob was just a bit too small for my tastes.

I wrote him about these issues. He re-designed some things, and he got another one in the mail for me pronto. He enlarged the size a good bit, and the new sizing (IMHO) is perfect! Nice resting grip for a full-sized male hand, and the kill switch button is perfectly placed for ergonomic comfort with my thumb (was a bit of a backward reach for me with the original, smaller-sized, knob).

If you've been following my thread, you know that I paint way too much. AND, as with past posts, I couldn't resist getting some color on this thing...

Here's some pics!

Left: Original Model ; Right: Special OG-Spec Edition!

Here's my natural grip position with Daox's original (smaller) model:

..and here's my natural grip position with the OG-Spec edition. Perfect!

This pic shows why I need some shorter screws. The screws here are fully turned down/seated:

Here's some pictures of the "guts":

..and a lil' paintin' never hurt anybody

All done and ready to go:

Up next, I'll get the wiring done for the switch, and get some smaller screws, so I can get this thing in the car. I also have some plans for the shift boot. Last, but not least, I'll need to get the kill switch wired up to the OEM injector box.

Until next time, thanks for eco-tuning in!

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Last edited by OG VX; 02-01-2015 at 12:20 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (02-01-2015), Daox (02-02-2015), Fat Charlie (02-02-2015), iceyinferno (02-02-2015), jedi_sol (02-01-2015), MetroMPG (02-02-2015)