View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #147 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Just checked: my local Sentra is an '04 SE-R sedan 5-speed with the 2.5 (from the larger Altima ... following the classic "muscle car" formula... big engine into small car).

I bet it's fun to drive, but the MPG disqualifies it, at just 20 city /27 hwy / 23 combined!

It sure is easier to find cheap beaters that get below 35 mpg highway than above!
Yup Sentras can be fun if you nerd out and know what to look for. Base is a 1.8L, SE-R is the same car with a 2.5L, SE-R Spec V is the total monster - 2.5L with more HP, only came with manual transmission, 6 speed, limited slip front diff, optional Brembo brakes, no traction control, and if you get the Brembos you DON'T get ABS with it. I have had a few, and they are the only car I've driven so far that seems like it is actually trying to cause you harm when you drive it. Featherweight car with lots of power, massive torque steer, and BOTH front wheels spinning. My last one was named the Periwinkle Nightmare, people didn't understand the name until they rode in it in the rain haha. There is another Sentra whose designation escapes me, I don't think I've ever actually seen one but it would be a fun car, it's got the 2.5L that the SE-R one's have, but it's the comfy, driven by an accountant model with hubcaps etc.

Someone above posted asking about first gen Neons. All I can offer is don't buy one, no matter how cheap. Those cars had horrible head gasket issues. There was a '95 at one of the auctions last week that only had 50k KMs on it (30k miles), and it brought a whole $900. I wouldn't have taken it if someone gave it to me. Some cars you can get for free and still lose money on, and old Neons are one of them.