View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
kv1
EcoModding Lurker

Red face 1983 G20 van build - looking for advice

I have a G20 van which I bought for DMV fees from a person who was going to junk it. Should I have done that? I don't know. It has a 350 small block engine. The last time (5 years ago from creating this post) it passed the smog test. I haven't tried passing the smog test yet. I try not to drive it at all, and I've only used 1/2 a tank of gas since getting it about 6 months ago Needed to use it a couple times to collect recycled materials and for school.

I live in LA, California.

Here is what a similar van looks like (mine is in much much worse condition):

I will start using the van a lot in about 4-5 months for construction work for a community garden for which other students and I have designed several buildings.

I have a mechanic coming in a couple days to look at the van. I figure that for now I should at least change the fluids in the current engine and try and get that engine running as cleanly as possible.

I am contemplating several options:
-Rebuilding the engine. Trying to get the current engine to run as efficiently as possible.
-Buying a modern, small displacement (3.5L vs the current 5.8L) fuel injected gasoline engine (used) alongside a transmission and putting it in the van. After that, turbocharging it so that it makes enough torque to pull the van.
-Buying a diesel engine (used) and going the bio-fuel route. I live in a place with plenty of mom-and-pop restaurants so I think they will be fine with giving me their oil.

How much do you think each option will cost me? My budget is around 3-4 thousand I would say if I work hard for the next 4 months. I am a student so making money is difficult.

Which of those options is realistic? How much would each cost? What would you recommend? I would like as much information as possible on what you think I should do.

My end goal is to produce as little NOx and greenhouse gasses as possible. It is not to save money. Having said that, I have no experience working on cars, but I'm decent with my hand and I think I can learn.

Last edited by kv1; 02-01-2015 at 09:19 PM..