View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
cmyers
EcoModding Lurker

I am new here but your post grabbed my attention. I work on cars and such as a hobby, not sure why, and had a van similar to yours. I replaced the engine and rebuilt the transmission in it. Unfortunately I was never able to put it on the road and eventually traded it for another vehicle. In my opinion vans are a nightmare to replace engines in. The engine comes out the front of the vehicle so all that has to come out, radiator, AC core, grill. Also you mentioned you are not experienced working on cars and a student. Doing what you are planning will take much time and if someone else is doing for you much money. As far as engines go if it is fuel injected a 4.3 litre 6 cyl motor would fit and may still give you power needed. The problems come in when dealing with engine management controls. I live in upstate NY and have emission regulations for inspection which I think you have to deal with also. If the van has underlying problems it may turn into something that you are constantly pouring money into. I have often thought of going to diesel but would buy something that is diesel. I am unfamiliar with wiring diffrences between them but know there is quite a bit that would need to be changed. Not to discourage you but I think leave it as it is and run it until something better comes along.