View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Replacing my laptop touchscreen again

So, the laptop that I bought in May of 2,013 had two screws work themselves loose. The hinge started wobbling and I realized that I had a couple of screws loose, so I bought new ones, and one came right out.

The hole was stripped!

I read that my alternatives were to try Lock-Tite or to take everything apart and to tap out larger holes. The screw managed to work loose before the Lock-Tite dried!

Apparently, the system separated so much that the power supply cannot make a connection, and the battery stopped charging.

I worked six days last week, including a couple of hours of overtime, but we just got busy a week ago, and I am only waiting on my third paycheck (besides the Guard) since May, so I am trying to be careful with my money. I have been using my father's laptop, but the internal fan died, so I use an external one, but the USB ports come loose extremely easily, so everything stops working regularly. Somehow, the $2 Walmart mouse cord got into the $40 laptop cooler and broke a fin. My other fan had a crushed USB connector.

Acetone did not remove the Loc-Tite, so I think that I will try a screw extractor next. The thing is, now I have a cracked touchscreen!

The laptop is a HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j053cl Notebook PC and this is the replacement screen for the non-touchscreen version: Screen for HP Compaq ENVY 15-J053CL TOUCHSMART. Replacement Laptop LCD Screens
$57.99 plus $7.50 to ship.

I cannot find it now, but they had the touchscreen version for the same price, except they made it very clear that it is non-touchscreen! This one is $90, but it does not say if it is touchscreen or not: Screen For HP 720550-001 15.6-inch LED Full-HD (1920 x 1080)

HP sells the part for $400! The only other place that I found it is: HP Envy 15 J105US Laptop Screen Touch Glass with Digitizer Assembly 720550 001 | eBay $200 for the digitizer glass for your Acer iPhone!

I can send it in for the extended warranty, but I kind of want to remove the Lock-Tite first!

Also...

Apparently, the laptop was available with a full HD screen (mine is only 1366x768!), but it insists that I need to match the resolution! The only explanation that I could find was that it might wear out my processor faster!

The thing is, having a small screen, I tend to use it with my full HD external monitor. If the screen itself were full HD, I would not use the external monitor, so it would tax the graphics chip less, right?

Well, I do not need the touchscreen capabilities, I never wanted them, and I disabled them months ago! Can I upgrade the screen, though?

The timing is fun, I have my final showdown with my ex-girlfriend tomorrow, hopefully I have a full work week, I have drill Friday evening, through Sunday afternoon, and then have a full work week next week. While I am ordering parts, I think that I will order new hinges for my laptop, that makes more sense than trying to tap out the holes, and maybe a replacement fan for Dad's laptop. The stove and kitchen light stopped working, my passenger window does not roll up completely, and I still need to get and install the correct ballast for the overhead light in my bedroom.

I sound busy! Just a few more cute animal .GIFs!