View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
So, the laptop that I bought in May of 2,013 had two screws work themselves loose. The hinge started wobbling and I realized that I had a couple of screws loose, so I bought new ones, and one came right out...

I can send it in for the extended warranty, but I kind of want to remove the Lock-Tite first!
I usually keep a laptop for 4 years before giving it away to whoever is in need of something that works. I've found that consumer-grade laptops aren't designed to hold up to more than 2 years of abuse, so I buy entry-level business. Most everything I've posted in the last 3 years has been on my Lenovo x220. I'll probably replace it at the end of the year when I see something cheap on Slickdeals.

All that said, you need to get the laptop fixed under warranty. Why spend money when you have already paid to have someone else fix it?

Quote:
Apparently, the laptop was available with a full HD screen (mine is only 1366x768!), but it insists that I need to match the resolution! The only explanation that I could find was that it might wear out my processor faster!
It's best to run a screen in native resolution, which means to set the display resolution to the actual number of pixels the screen has. Choosing a different resolution causes a slight amount of extra computation to skew the image into dimensions that are not native to the display. It won't wear out the processor, but it will distort the image.

Quote:

The thing is, having a small screen, I tend to use it with my full HD external monitor. If the screen itself were full HD, I would not use the external monitor, so it would tax the graphics chip less, right?
Whichever display is set to the higher resolution will tax the graphics chip more. More pixels = more computation.

Quote:
I have my final showdown with my ex-girlfriend tomorrow, hopefully I have a full work week, ...maybe a replacement fan for Dad's laptop.
What does final showdown mean? I don't think the fight will be fair considering you have military training.

My only advice on the subject of women is that life is too short, and your younger years even more so, to waste even a moment with someone you aren't wildly excited to be with. If you don't want to be with your ex, then don't even have a final showdown. Just respectfully tell her you won't be keeping in contact and move on. If she attempts contact with you, ignore it. Believe me, it's hard to do, but you'll be rewarded by making yourself available to better opportunities, and being in a healthier place to respond to those opportunities.

I suggest you do fix your Dad's laptop fan. That's a nice thing to do, and should be relatively cheap. Often times the fan can be buried deep within the laptop and may require as many as 50 screws to finally get to the part, but lay out the pieces in a pattern that helps you remember how to reassemble. Make sure you reconnect all of the little connections, because nothing is more frustrating than going 50 screws in, getting everything back together, and then finding out there is no audio because you forgot to re-attach a tiny wire.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (06-20-2015), Xist (02-02-2015)