View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
reformed
Did you get that thing?

Green Machine - '92 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.98 mpg (US)

Money pit - '97 Infiniti j30
90 day: 22.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledthejams View Post
Ford Fox platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The '04 Mustang was the last derivative of the Fox platform, though it was somewhat modified after '94. You can, as far as I know, still swap much of the drivetrain of an '04 Mustang into, say, a '78 Fairmont with relatively little drama.

I remember hearing that leading up to the release of the current ('05+) Mustang that it was the first complete redesign in over 25 years, so that makes sense.
Haha, even though it still might be considered a fox platform, they aren't that easy to swap parts like that from year to year. 79-93. 94-95. 96-98. 99-04. Are where you get the different designs, each with their little tweaks that make swaps to different styles, not impossible, but sometimes difficult and not cost effective. I've built a few mustangs in my day (All Foxes), and I've been involved with a transplant of an 03 4.6 Cobra powerplant into a 89 mustang and believe me, there was drama! When swapping parts and trying to stay cost effective in a mustang, its better to stick with your style mustang for most parts, or at least make sure to cross reference first. They did change the axle length also from 93 (foxbody) to the 94 (sn-95) year and I'm not sure if it stayed the same after that or not.. other than the 79-93 model years, my knowledge of mustangs drops off quite a bit.