View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
When courteous is necessary as long as it does NOT interfere with defensive. At Interstate cloverleafs a lot of the left laners will speed up to block you from moving left to let someone in the right-merge lane. I generally stay right unless it is less dangerous to move left.

If it works I will move to the left lane to let a mass of mergers enter the road without undue interference by me, which sometimes ticks off the left laners going 75 to 80 instead of 65-70. I pulse over the crest of the overpass then go back right with a coast and let them by.

I will speed up to make things smoother but I would do that anyway if traffic was light.
I try to avoid riding in the lanes that are used by entry-exit vehicles and I get into the lane I need to be in to turn early. My objective is for other drivers to consider my actions predictable.

I watch the vehicles around me for low tires, not tracking straight, wheels hopping or any other indication of poor operation or maintenance. Few slow down as gradually as I do but sometimes I will try to NOT let them blast around me, when I KNOW they will have to slam on brakes the instant they swerve in front of me because I have the light perfectly timed, but if the light will not be green when I get there they can go ahead and I just coast further.

I also try make make left&right turns with the least change in inertia, sometimes I hear a gasp from the wife when I coast off a cloverleaf and enter the turn at 50+ MPH. Not may will tail gate me through an exit cloverleaf, goodway to get the SUV off my arse that's been 2 car lengths behind me for.5 mile while I coast down to exit ramp speed without touching the brakes.

regards
mech
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Cd (02-06-2015), dirtydave (02-09-2015)