View Single Post
Old 02-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
I was taught that the left lane is for passing, the right lane is for driving. I try to abide by that as much as possible. As well, if I am in the right lane and want to pass someone, and see a faster moving vehicle coming up in the distance in the left lane, I slow down and wait for them to pass us both before I overtake the driver in front of me. I am sure the person in the left lane never notices my attempt to be a safe and courteous driver, but I do it anyway.

As for city driving, forget it. I live in an area where 70% of the population has immigrated from a country where less than 10% of their homeland population has had a drivers license for more than 3 years. I drive safely not to be courteous, but because I don't want to get killed by someone that decides to turn left, from the right hand turn lane, across 2 lanes of traffic. I wish I was making that up. But it's something I see at least once every few weeks. I actually saw someone miss their turn, stop, backup, and make the turn they missed. On a busy two lane road. That was an hour ago.

And people wonder why I keep Miss Silvia around at the shop. Every once in a while I just need to drive home and enforce a little bit of safe driving in the people around me. Strangely, I don't seem to get nearly as many close calls, people changing lanes right beside me, or stopping randomly in the left lane, when she has all her lights on. The 454 with really loud 2 chamber Flowmaster exhaust probably helps. Sadly it costs $10 to drive the 8 kms to my house haha.